First Driving Review of the Solstice!! - Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures
Pontiac Solstice Pontiac Solstice Header Right

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures > Pontiac Solstice News / Updates

SolsticeForums.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-25-2005   #1
castrol

First Driving Review of the Solstice!!

Making a good first impression is everything.

From the first time you look at the Solstice, it impresses you. The design is aggressive and clean, with a very classic shape to it and smooth lines that are easy on the eyes. Nothing about the exterior styling of the car clashes; everything has a place and is there. The shape is classic, with a long hood and short rear deck.

However, when you're making new acquaintances, you can't just stun everybody the first time you meet, and then be lacking everywhere else. That's why the Solstice shines.

You get inside, and you're greeted by very minimalist gauges; you get fuel, a speedo, and your tachometer. You don't even know if the car's warmed up yet; the lack of the coolant temperature gauge is a bit unnerving, but if you're easy with the car for the first ten minutes or so, everything should be alright. The seats are supportive and the driving position is comfortable.

On my drive, I never once felt like I was at odds with the interior ergonomics. In some cars, when you're close enough to the pedals to be comfortable, you're too close to the steering wheel, or the shifter is not in the right spot.

In the Solstice, everything is right there, within easy reach. The most satisfying part is the location of the shifter - your right arm sits right on the center tunnel, and your grip of the shifter is perfect. The steering wheel is the right size and shape, with a simple three-spoke pattern. Although it isn't wrapped in leather, it still feels sturdy and comfortable in your hands, and is thick enough to give you the perfect grip for cornering.

Once you've gotten used to your surroundings, putting the top down is a very simple process. Just open the trunk, pull the latch above the rearview mirror, and fold the top back. It slips easily into the trunk, and it only takes about 20 seconds. Many people will gripe about the lack of a power top; first off, don't be lazy. Secondly, a power top adds weight, and the Solstice is all about being slim and lithe.

Once you're on the road, you'll notice the dual nature of the Solstice. The around-town, easy driving manners of the car are apparent right away. The engine and transmission are quiet at low revs, and the clutch is light enough to prevent fatigue if you get stopped in traffic. The engine is perfectly happy just sort of humming along.

Then there's mean monster Solstice. Equipped with the 177-hp 2.4L Ecotec with variable valve timing, the engine has plenty of grunt for the 2880-lb roadster. The most interesting characteristic of the 2.4L is how it doesn't behave like a long-stroke 4-cylinder. It loves to rev up to high RPM's, and sings to its 7000 RPM redline with a very mechanical engine note. Unfortunately, when you wind the motor out, the sound of the exhaust is impossible to hear over the intake sounds as well as the mechanical noises of the engine & transmission. A bit more open exhaust would make the sound a little more visceral.

The 5-speed Aisin manual transmission is a good match to the engine. The throws are short and positive, and it never has trouble keeping up with the 2.4 liter. The gates are very tight, and feel like a 6-speed like Toyota's unit in the Celica GTS, but unlike the Toyota's gearbox, you never wonder if you're in the right gear.

When you get into hard driving, the Solstice is deceptive. The engine has decent amounts of torque, but as I stated before, it loves to rev. It has the characteristics like that of a Honda engine, where you have to keep the RPMS over 4000 to get any significant power. This requires a little more rowing of the gears, and downshifting another gear from what you think is appropriate for the speed you're going.

When you're blasting down country roads, it's fine, because 2nd and 3rd gear are perfect for zipping through the twisties. However, on the interstate, I downshifted from 5th to 4th gear, expecting the midrange to carry me into the flow of the fast lane, but I found it decidedly lacking. A downshift into 3rd gear, however, plopped the engine at 4500 RPM and it squirted forward happily.

Top-down motoring is quite a pleasure in the Solstice. The wind is in your hair, the sun is shining, and you never feel like you're being buffeted or abused by the elements. At speeds of 55-60, the noise in the cockpit is quiet enough to carry on a conversation at normal volume. At highway speeds, the wind noise increases; putting the windows up quiets down the cabin to a very appropriate volume.

When you throw the Solstice into the turns, it feels extremely solid. The test numbers register .90 G's on the skidpad, but test numbers only tell half the story. The other half is how it feels; if you were driving a Ferrari, it would feel very razor-edge, where one wrong move would put you into the ditch. The Solstice is forgiving, and predictable, with very flat handling. There is barely any body roll when the car is driven smoothly and nothing is done to upset the traction. It's a car you could easily make quick laps around a race track in even as a rookie.

For such a handler, the ride is very compliant and not at all uncomfortable. Over terrible Michigan roads, even with the 18-inch wheels and stiff chassis, road imperfections were not an issue. Everything felt solid, and vibrations were minimum. Even over the choppiest of bumps, the steering didn't feel darty or jittery. It stayed on course, and went directly where I told it to with zero drama.

I have to say my Saturday morning jaunt around Livingston County in the Solstice was an enjoyable, almost addictive experience. I know if I had the $20,000 in disposable income to put down on a car like this I would do it in a heartbeat. The car is solid, well engineered, and a blast to drive. It grabs all sorts of attention, and I'm pretty sure my drive made plenty of good first impressions.

Special thanks to Urbanmonkeygod04 for submitting this.

Last edited by castrol; 06-25-2005 at 11:27 AM.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2005   #2
urbanmonkeygod04

Thanks for putting this up Castrol! I hope the lurkers around here actually say SOMETHING! And I'll be around, if they have any questions about the car.
urbanmonkeygod04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005   #3
red666

Thanks for the review

I am glad that you seemed so pleased with the overall quality of the car. It seems like GM has a definite winner on it's hands.

Urbanmonkeygod04, I have one question though:

How much room was there inside the Sosltice? I am a big Guy and I am a little worried that I will have a hard time fitting in my 1st 1000 Sly Solstice.

Thanks
red666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005   #4
urbanmonkeygod04

Quote:
Originally Posted by red666
I am glad that you seemed so pleased with the overall quality of the car. It seems like GM has a definite winner on it's hands.

How much room was there inside the Sosltice? I am a big Guy and I am a little worried that I will have a hard time fitting in my 1st 1000 Sly Solstice.

Thanks
Well, honestly, I can't say for sure, but I'd have to say it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not tall by any means (5'8") and I'd have to say there was more than enough room above my head. With the top up there's definitely a good amount of room up above. As far as girth, I'm somewhat wide, and I found the seats comfortable and supportive. If you have extremely wide shoulders and are 6'8" this might not be the car for you (basketball players come readily to mind). For the most part though, it should be comfortable for most people, from short, petite girls to taller, wider guys.
Old 06-26-2005   #5

Thanks

Steve

2091351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #6
shabby

0.90g on the skidpad? Wow i wasnt expecting that, looks like its a solid handler.
No temp gauge? They cant be serious can they, how will you know when its overheating?
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #7
JCM

I have yet to see any photos with the top "up". Do you have any to share or what are your general thoughts on the aesthetics?

What is the color of the top with the model you tested?
JCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #8
urbanmonkeygod04

I actually posted the picture I took w/ the top up on the Redline forums, and I think I did that after Castrol posted it over here; the top was black, and the one that I drove didn't have the best fit to it, because it was about the 4th Solstice ever made (the one you saw/the one I drove was an engineering test car). However, I saw another GM Employee PEP car at my work last night, and the top fit a whole lot better, esp. where it meets the trunk. Here you are:

I can't wait to see if they make a coupe/hardtop version; although I prefer the open-air feel to it, I definitely like the shape with the top up.
Old 06-27-2005   #9
cadmonkey12

What kind of storage does the trunk have? Can you access the trunk with the top up.
cadmonkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #10
urbanmonkeygod04

Storage space in the trunk is VERY limited. With the top up, you can probably fit a golf bag & a briefcase. With the top down, it's going to be a squeeze to fit ANYTHING in there. It's a very small trunk.

As far as getting into the trunk w/ the top up, of course you can; all it does is unhook the two latches from the decklid then flips open, and you have to secure the latches again when you close it.
Old 06-28-2005   #11
shabby

Cargo volume, top up, cubic feet 3.8
Cargo volume, top down, cubic feet 1.4
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #12
castrol

wow... no long road trips. Better pack something easy to wash and wear, or buy lots of
disposable clothes.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #13
soiltron

This is one of those rare convertibles that looks as good with the top up as it does down! Beauty! And who says you need lots of luggage to take on a long road trip? Motorcyclists ride cross country all the time.
soiltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #14
WopOnTour

Quote:
Originally Posted by red666

Thanks
Red
I'm 6ft 2" 285lbs and I found the Solstace quite comfortable!
I do find the lower torso bolstering on the seat just a tad tight for my tastes, but it's not too bad. There's no adjustment (BUT nothing like the painful Recaro leather enema I get everytime I drop into a Redline or Cobalt SS!!)
I found the form fitting curves of the center console VERY supportive in LH cornering and the rock-solid dead pedal a sturdy perch in right handers. (and places my fairly long leg at a comfortable bend, not in my chin like so many others)

To put it simply, I havnt felt as comfortable in most any OTHER car I've driven,of this stature, save for maybe the V6 Fiero I bought in 1987.
Hope This Helps
WopOnTour

Last edited by WopOnTour; 07-01-2005 at 05:53 PM.
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #15
WopOnTour

Still have access to it for a few more days
Any specific pic requests??
WopOnTour
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement