If you had to buy a car in 6 months? - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures
Pontiac Solstice Pontiac Solstice Header Right

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures > Solstice Talk > General Discussion

SolsticeForums.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-27-2004   #31
pachanga21

what do you guys think of the new Mini cooper convertible??
pachanga21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004   #32
GoReMaSteR

a great cruiser car. looks cute. But it's FWD...still not bad though.
GoReMaSteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004   #33
pachanga21

i know it dosent look as sporty as the solstice...but the mini coopper conv def looks better than the miata(imo).... although it's a "cute" car...i'll probably get the same reaction from people when i drive it...heck, it'lll probably be more fun than other roadsters.....
pachanga21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2004   #34
JohnPaulPSU

I just got an email from my brother regarding the GTO. Basically it said they were selling half as well as planned and in a month or two when there is no doubt that the movie "last drive" and summer weather is not going to improve sales then they will bring on the rebates and finacing deals.

Also the car is heavy (only 300 pounds more than a mustang) and braking isn't excellent, although I never read anywhere that it was anything less than acceptable. And there is nothing wrong with the body of the car that a body kit wouldn't fix. Just look at the Autocross version and you'll see a great looking GTO.

The things stopping me from buying today are:
1. possible price cuts and deals in the near future
2. redesigned body for 2005 making my model the worst and killing resale
value
3. there is going to be a new engine for 2005

As for it being overpriced, I get the GSM price of 29,829 which isn't two bad for a 4 seat performance machine with a corvette engine and transmission.

And the reason it doesn't have any options is because so much comes standard. Not that next years model won't have any... I'm sure it will since they have one more year to work on them.

Last edited by JohnPaulPSU; 05-27-2004 at 01:49 PM.
JohnPaulPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004   #35
Chip

"...a 4 seat performance machine with a corvette engine and transmission."

JP; Your statement about the GTO is 50% correct at best. While it does have some parts from the corvette parts bin it is not (imho) a four seat performance car. It's only a stop gap measure that Pontiac tried to pull off until some real performance cars could be brought into their line up. There are three GTO's sitting at my local dealership now that have been there a month or more. I think the word is out that this car is not a real GTO, only some bean counters idea of a way to use a trusted name from the past to sell mediocrity. I've know GTO's...This thing ain't no GTO!

Last edited by Chip; 05-27-2004 at 04:06 PM.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004   #36
GoReMaSteR

I read a report on it and it only gets .82 in the skid pad...why is it that american car companies can't make good handling cars.

I'd wait for things from other companies personally. A rebadged holden isn't a GTO. Even if they wanna call it that.
Old 05-30-2004   #37
JohnPaulPSU

Is has an LS1 and it does 0-60 in 5.3 and the 1/4 mile in 13.8. And that is the 2004 model. The 2005 is going to have an ls2 with 395 HP.

Basically I think that some people can't get past the looks of the car. Maybe you have never heard the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" Maybe you would say that the bentley isn't a performance car either. As for weather it is a "GTO" as defined by the old people who used to drive one... I don't care. The Nissan 350Z is a pure performance car, few would doubt that, but the GTO would beat it in a staight line race.. that has to count for something. And I believe the 200 ft skidpad rating is .90 (at least that is what I found)

A rebadged Tempest with a better engine can be a GTO so why not a rebadged Monaro with a better engine. The General made the GTO and as the creater says what is and what isn't a GTO. Not me or you.

My prophecy is that the 2005 will come out with the LS2, redesigned body panels, twin dual exhaust, and then people will convert. Until then I will be saving my downpayment, keeping my fingers crossed, and as always looking for something better to come along.
Old 05-30-2004   #38
GoReMaSteR

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulPSU
Is has an LS1 and it does 0-60 in 5.3 and the 1/4 mile in 13.8. And that is the 2004 model. The 2005 is going to have an ls2 with 395 HP.

Basically I think that some people can't get past the looks of the car. Maybe you have never heard the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" Maybe you would say that the bentley isn't a performance car either. As for weather it is a "GTO" as defined by the old people who used to drive one... I don't care. The Nissan 350Z is a pure performance car, few would doubt that, but the GTO would beat it in a staight line race.. that has to count for something. And I believe the 200 ft skidpad rating is .90 (at least that is what I found)

A rebadged Tempest with a better engine can be a GTO so why not a rebadged Monaro with a better engine. The General made the GTO and as the creater says what is and what isn't a GTO. Not me or you.

My prophecy is that the 2005 will come out with the LS2, redesigned body panels, twin dual exhaust, and then people will convert. Until then I will be saving my downpayment, keeping my fingers crossed, and as always looking for something better to come along.
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...dd/index4.html

I'll have to take MotorTrends #'s or another major publication Their SkidPad #'s are for the GTO and the Merc they were comparing it against. .82 for the GTO and .83 for the Merc. But when it comes down to whether i believe a car emboddies the name a company decides to throw on it...well it is up to me.

I believe the New 2005 Mustang has the look and feel of the mustangs I love. The older ones !

When i look at the new GTO...it's just GM cashing in on rebadging another car. It's like how Subaru has allowed Saab to make a model based completely off the Impreza, now called the Saab 9-2X their saying it's a saab cause the outside mildly resembles a Saab, under it's an Impreza. Except Saab isn't trying to cashin on a name that many people can recognize, it's a completely ne model.

GTO has the history and lineage of the muscle cars of old. When u think GTO and are a purist. U dont think Hmmm...all i could ask for would be....

1. Rebadge a Holden Monero.
2. Throw in the parts bin LS1 from the vette.
3. Take the Design cues from the 95 grand am and Cavalier and design a very dull car.
4. Have close to no options available. Incl no sunroof.
5. Make it handle like a minivan.

I can pickup a 350z for $26,930.00 with 280 Horsepower and it will kill the GTO in the corners no problem. The GTO barely beats it in 0-60 and quarter mile again it is only marginally faster.

GTO is special to alot of people, whether 'u' care or not. The new GTO to me would have meant a completely new design built from the ground up perhaps off the new C6 Vette Chassis with a world class design. Much like the Solstice, it was done right. The GTO is a cash in. Just my Opinion.

So when the next Cavalier gets rebadged as a vette...I'll see u in line for the deposit right ?
Old 05-30-2004   #39
Chip

I agree! Pontiac could have done a better job all the way around, but I believe they were in a hurry to get the platform to market. I guess they figured no one would look past the "Vette" engine and the GTO nameplate. I sure hope they do a better job on the Solstice! If they try that smoke and mirrors route on the Solstice, well...I will be looking at other options.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004   #40
nyca

not sure what smoke and mirrors they could do with the solstice - we know what it looks like, what the basic engine will be, etc. unless they street price is $5000 more then expected, that would kill it.
nyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004   #41
JohnPaulPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoReMaSteR
[url]

So when the next Cavalier gets rebadged as a vette...I'll see u in line for the deposit right ?
Not quite, I'm not after the name, just the car.

I have never owned an "original" GTO. And personnally I wouldn't want one. Those cars didn't have the power, handling, safety, or anywhere near the refinement of todays cars. The word GTO is not "special" to me. If you called the car by any other name I wouldn't care, and I would still plan on buying one.

Compared to a Z, it is bigger. That fact explains why it doesn't handle as well and also why I want it. I'm prepared to take the handling hit in exchange for 4 seats and enough headroom so that my head isn't in constant contact with the headliner.

As far as performance goes... I have read a lot of reviews and done a lot of research on this car, and I haven't found anyone complaining. Except for the people who want a 3,700 pound car to handle like a 3,000 pound car.

Also, what's wrong with taking an LS1 out of the "parts bin"? Do you think they should have designed a new 8 cylinder engine for the GTO specifically? I think that would only increase cost, as would designing a new GTO from scratch. And rebadging... why is that even an issue? Like Shakespeare said "a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet" . If they rebadged the mustang as the m47 and sold it in Australia, would they refuse to buy it just because it was "rebadged"?

I'll cave into you on the styling issue... although I don't think it looks bad. They definitely made a mistake when they made it look like so tame. I think they realize this and are in the process of fixing it.

Also you are right about the "cash in" They tryed to save money in order to maximize their profit. (that's what businesses do) They cut too many corners trying to get this car out as an 04 model however and that hurt them pretty bad judging from your reaction as well as those of other classic GTO loyalists.

BTW, I agree the 05 Mustang looks great, I might look into that car when more details are available. They definitely did right with that car. Mustang might be one car name that I do care about. But GTO... Pontiac stole it from Ferrari in the first place so it's not like it was original, not like the Mustang

I'm tired of defending the GTO since I'm the one who asked for reasons not to buy it in the first place.

So, let's talk about the Mustang...Does anyone know anything? release date? performance? price? do you think the convertible will be offered right away?
Old 06-01-2004   #42
GoReMaSteR

Talking Go Stang ! '05

Personally if u put the '05 Stang beside the GTO...there is no question which one looks better. And since the V-8 stang will weigh less than the gto in v8 form then i think it should be just as fast given the 50 hp difference.

Plus the Mustang will be cheaper, hopefully 25-26k or less for V-8. Interior looks great in both IMO...I like the stangs new tunable coloured lights on the speedo's n stuff.

On looks and performance and price i think the new '05 Mustang kills the GTO but maybe thats just me. hehe

Plus the Stangs engine is overhead cam design and not a push rod. I think it'll be a bit smoother. with 3 Valves per cylinder.
Old 07-13-2004   #43
JohnPaulPSU

I have some news about the 05 GTO if anyone is interested....

It is getting the LS2 with 400 HP, and there will be an option for the hood scoops. There are also some other things such as brake upgrades, and other minor differencees.

This is the car for me. I think at this point that even if the Solstice was coming out tomorrow I would still wait for the 05 GTO.

I think it was car and driver that compared the 2004 Mustang cobra to the 2004 GTO and they called it a tie, although the cobra edged the GTO slightly on the Perormance aspect. However, in 2005 no stang will be able to touch a 400 HP GTO. I can't wait to order mine. I'll keep you updated, but the way it's looking now a 400 HP red GTO with red leather interior is in my future.
Old 07-22-2004   #44
Solstice006

Although a 2004 GTO would be tempting (I personally love the car - I sat inside one the other day and didn't want to get out), I can't quite afford one (unless the dealer gave me a hell of a deal). Therefore, if I needed a new car in the next 6 months, I'd be leaning towards an Equinox. It gets gas mileage comparable to my current S-10, I like the stlying, and it has great utility.
Solstice006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #45
GoReMaSteR

SUV's suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement