If you had to buy a car in 6 months? - Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures
Pontiac Solstice Pontiac Solstice Header Right

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures > Solstice Talk > General Discussion

SolsticeForums.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-06-2004   #1
JohnPaulPSU

If you had to buy a car in 6 months?

I've come to the realization that there is no way I can wait a year and a half for the solstice, and then another half a year to a year for the good version.

I'm going to buy a car in about 6 months and I don't know what direction to go. I could go used or new, but I'm set on a sports/ sporty car.

I'm thinking about the new Mustang, Nissan 350Z (I love this car), Honda S2000, Impreza WRX/ Sti (although it is ugly), GTO (although it looks like a Grand Prix), Audi TT, and you get the picture

What would you buy in about 6 months? And don't say Miata, I wouldn't be caught dead in that little chick car.
JohnPaulPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2004   #2
drew2002

1. List all important attributes for you (reliability, handling, etc.)
2. Give each attribute a percentage weight, so that the sum of all equal 100%
3. Rate each car according to each attribute.
4. Multiply rating times weighting and sum for each car.
5. Buy the car with the greatest score.

Or you could just drive each one, and buy the one which gives you the most enduring "permagrin".

Your choices are all over the place. 2WD vs. AWD, convertible vs. fixed-roof, 4 Dr vs. 2 Dr. You'll have a tough time making any decision until you narrow down some of these factors.

-Andrew
drew2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004   #3
osu761

You might also want to consider the Mazda RX-8. From what I've read, it is a very good all around sports car.
osu761 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2004   #4
Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulPSU
I've come to the realization that there is no way I can wait a year and a half for the solstice, and then another half a year to a year for the good version.

I'm going to buy a car in about 6 months and I don't know what direction to go. I could go used or new, but I'm set on a sports/ sporty car.

I'm thinking about the new Mustang, Nissan 350Z (I love this car), Honda S2000, Impreza WRX/ Sti (although it is ugly), GTO (although it looks like a Grand Prix), Audi TT, and you get the picture

What would you buy in about 6 months? And don't say Miata, I wouldn't be caught dead in that little chick car.
JP; Looks like you have already answered your own question! "Nissan 350Z (I love this car)" Go with what moves you! Let us know how you like it.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004   #5
Stephen M

Lots of good used sports cars for new Solstice money...I've noticed some low mileage C5s dipping close to 20K with the C6 on the horizon. Some interesting M3s in that range as well. Any car that has you saying "although..." should be crossed off the list, IMHO. With so many choices in the market, there's no sense compromising. As Chip said above, you gotta go with what you love.

-Stephen M
Stephen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004   #6
JohnPaulPSU

I had to rule out the RX-8 due to the fact that I'm 6'3'' and I don't fit in it very well.

Other than that, I like the M3 suggestion.

Here's what I really want:

Handling (I don't like to slow down for turns), Horse Power, AWD (RWD is acceptable), Drop Top, and Curb Appeal.

Even though technically I can afford to go out and buy a new 350Z, I would rather not do that. I'm going to try to only spend between $25,000 and $30,000.

I also really like the Lancer Evolution but it's a four door and has no curb appeal.

Anymore suggestions?
Old 03-06-2004   #7
Stephen M

Hmmm...I was thinking 20k originally, 25-30 opens up a few more options. Given your list of wants, once car immediately comes to mind:

Porsche Boxster.

Hits a home run in terms of handling and curb appeal. More power can be had for the same money, but the boxster has "enough", I would say. Low mileage ones pop up in the high 20's every now and then.

If AWD is more of a priority, you might be able to snag a 911 Carrera 4, but I don't think you can get a convertible Carrera 4 under 30k. Maybe, but I think you'd be looking at a much older/higher mileage car than the boxster.

-Stephen M
Stephen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004   #8
Chip

[QUOTE=JohnPaulPSU]I had to rule out the RX-8 due to the fact that I'm 6'3'' and I don't fit in it very well.

Now that's an issue I am concerned about with the Solstice. I am 6'1" and I hope waiting for this car doesn't become a disappointment. I am very fond of the S2000, but there are some issues with the tranny and rear end that are still showing up with the 03's. It could be that these are driver induced by hard use, but I am still wary. I've driven a couple and almost bought an 02, but could not find one at a price that I thought was fair. The so called market adjustment on these cars are a rip.

Last edited by Chip; 03-09-2004 at 06:28 AM.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004   #9
dav8or

Look at the VW R32. Awd, 240hp and less than the 350z or RX8. If I was buying used you can get Z3's in the 20's in great shape.
dav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004   #10
JohnPaulPSU

I saw that VW r32 at the D.C auto show at the beginning of this year and I'm not really a VW fan but I really liked that car for some reason. Then I tried to look it up on the net and for some reason I came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to be offered in the states. I guess I'll look again.
Old 03-09-2004   #11
dav8or

http://www.vwvortex.com/

R32 info can be found on this forum.
dav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004   #12
JohnPaulPSU

The R32 is a great car. I fit in it easily, lot's of room. Also very comfortable. Those seats are awesome. And when I started it up.. man, you gotta hear that car! I just wanted to drop it in first and take off. I didn't drive it though, because I'm not in the market for a couple months and I didn't want to waste the poor salesmans time. I just wanted to see it again in person and see if I fit. Also the sticker price would be about 32K after tags tax title.

In my opinion this is too much for this car. It is a great car, but it looks like a golf when you get down to it. People say that looks aren't everything it's what's inside that counts, but we all know that's bullshit.

On a side note: I'm happy to say that I might be in the market in two months instead of six. I can't wait. You see when I was 18 (back in '96) I bought a brand new Pontiac Grand Am. I paid it off two years later and it is still the only car I have ever owned. 8 years later (4 in the Air Force and 4 at Penn State) I finally have the money to buy a new car. For 8 years I've carried that ugly hunk of metal under my ass..... (for those of you who know your pulp fiction)

It's hard finding the perfect car.
Old 03-20-2004   #13
GoReMaSteR

Personally it think the RX-8 is alittle short on torque...i test drove one. it's very smooth power delivery...but weak in the low revs. Not sure if i like winding my car up to 9000rpm. Wait till the end of the year for a mazdaspeed RX-8 I've heard it's coming.

I've seen a few write ups and a top gear movie of the R32 golf and it's not really very fast for how much HP it's got...6.5 seconds...? 240 HP ? i'd expect it to be alot lower. But it's not cause it's a chubby little wubby. Sure it's AWD...but it still looks like a golf. Yawn...

If your into handlling and looks ... i've seen multiple vids of the 350z...it has under steer issues and the Stability control interferes with driftng into corners(assuming you'd be on the track). Plus i think the interior is cheap and dont really like it (nissans have never impressed me.)

I think the S2000 would be the one that would smoke all of that stuff cept the m3 in a straight line. S2000 is light. Gotta zippy engine providing you like to REV...and it's great in the turns. Better than boxster z4 rx8 pretty much every thing in it's class. Plus i like the interior...and it's transmission is great.

my 2 cents
GoReMaSteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004   #14
Allanon

Personally, I'd probably look at a Crossfire, just like something different, sporty but has class. Sat in one and thought it was pretty nice.

S2000 or Z350 would probably be another choice.

The new Mustang would be another.

Allanon
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004   #15
GoReMaSteR

the Crossfire is pretty much a re-badged SLK 320...same engine...same weak chassis. same transmission...another not so good thing. I like the styling...but the car it's built off of isn't a drivers car. It's a chic merc mobile

And the poor mustang that is coming out has a solid rear axle that trucks use. It's not going to be a super g pulling car in the corners with that type of suspension. The cobra or bullet is going to add independent rear suspension from what i hear...but you'll have to wait 4 that.

I'm gonna buy an s2000 i think. I liked the Vtec in the 2000 prelude SH i drove. So this thing is going to only be better.
GoReMaSteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement