Hahn owners - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures
Pontiac Solstice Pontiac Solstice Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures > Solstice Talk > General Discussion

SolsticeForums.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-30-2006   #16
tweety

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlintexas
tweety - got back from the Arkansas leaf run & seemed the car was running a little weaker and rougher than usual. Had to fill with 91 octane in Oklahoma (probably part of the problem). While I'm at it VIN2020 got an engine code on 91 octane on a cold / wet morning but it cleared on it's own later.

So I checked the turbo bolts (turbo to manifold) & sure enough - the upper left nut was backed off several turns. Lower left slightly loose, upper & lower right seem tight enough. Next time I find them backing off - I'm putting lock washers on them!
I have mine safety wired together. After the KC run, stopping to check bolt or nuts was getting kind of old. The drilling and safety wiring was something that we did on the race bikes so it was an easy thing for me to think of.
Now with the heat shield on the unit, I can't see the bolts or nuts.
Another option of you have ever had issue with the housing to downpipe (3 bolts) coming loose, get longer than needed bolts so that they stick out the other side of the housing. Drill holes through them as close to the housing as you dare and wire them together.
tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006   #17
carlintexas

tweety - where's the 'V'

I installed the NGK 4306 'V' Power plugs today.

I noticed that these new plugs seem to be about 1/16" to 1/8" deeper into the cylinder than the stock plugs. Any issue with the plug hitting the top of the piston - before I start this thing??
carlintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #18
Clear Bra Installer

Maybe I can shed some light.

Ok.

Here is my take on this. I personally spoke to Aaron at the Hahn booth at SEMA. The Stage III kit from what they says is pretty much an upgraded fuel pump and a retune with more boost. Should be ready by the years end from what they said.

As far as boost pressure, I too installed a boost guage and noticed that I was only getting about 7psi and when I talked to Aaron, he showed me the rod which can be screwed in to get more boost. I also live in an area where 91 octane is the only fuel so I am waiting on a reflash to work with 91 as I have to run 10 gal of 91 and 3 gal of 100 to be safe now.

Heatshield and PS relocation kit worked great. I definately notice the heat around surrounding components is much less. Still looks like I need to get a new plastic button for the hood as it is melted from before the heat shield.

I heard about all the bolt loosening on other cars so I did a daily drive and retighten for the first 7 days of use. Since then, I have checked them once a week and notice no backing out. Hopefully I am lucky.

I also installed the NGK plugs right from the get go and still experience the chug at cold idle, but when warmed up, it seems to run fairly smooth, pretty close to stock.

Well that's my experience thus far.

Clear
Clear Bra Installer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006   #19
tweety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Bra Installer
Ok.

Here is my take on this. I personally spoke to Aaron at the Hahn booth at SEMA. The Stage III kit from what they says is pretty much an upgraded fuel pump and a retune with more boost. Should be ready by the years end from what they said.

As far as boost pressure, I too installed a boost guage and noticed that I was only getting about 7psi and when I talked to Aaron, he showed me the rod which can be screwed in to get more boost. I also live in an area where 91 octane is the only fuel so I am waiting on a reflash to work with 91 as I have to run 10 gal of 91 and 3 gal of 100 to be safe now.

Heatshield and PS relocation kit worked great. I definately notice the heat around surrounding components is much less. Still looks like I need to get a new plastic button for the hood as it is melted from before the heat shield.

I heard about all the bolt loosening on other cars so I did a daily drive and retighten for the first 7 days of use. Since then, I have checked them once a week and notice no backing out. Hopefully I am lucky.

I also installed the NGK plugs right from the get go and still experience the chug at cold idle, but when warmed up, it seems to run fairly smooth, pretty close to stock.

Well that's my experience thus far.

Clear

Let's talk about that rod to the actuator.
Are you unscrewing it to make the rod longer?
On mine, I loosened the lock nut and when I turned the rod, it would only go in one direction, exposing more threads and making the rod longer.
Would this be the correct direction?
Old 11-02-2006   #20
carlintexas

ClearBra

When you screwed the rod in - how many threads are showing behind the lock nut?
Old 11-02-2006   #21
tweety

Mr Bra-

Before I loosened the lock nut I had 4-5 threads showing.
I loosened the lock nut and attempted to turn the rod clockwise to reduce the threads but it can't be turned any more in that direction. In doing so, this would shorten the rod but there isn't any more that it can be turned in. the male threaded rod is in the female rod (going to the actuator) as far as it can go.
Are we to turn this out the other way to expose more threads?
Old 11-02-2006   #22
Clear Bra Installer

Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety
Mr Bra-

Before I loosened the lock nut I had 4-5 threads showing.
I loosened the lock nut and attempted to turn the rod clockwise to reduce the threads but it can't be turned any more in that direction. In doing so, this would shorten the rod but there isn't any more that it can be turned in. the male threaded rod is in the female rod (going to the actuator) as far as it can go.
Are we to turn this out the other way to expose more threads?
Sorry tweety, I have yet to adjust mine as I was told to wait until I get the new flash. But if you lengthen the rod from what I was told, it will increase the boost pressure. Do you have a pressure guage on your system.

It was also suggested that I purchase a nice electronic boost controller by Aaron, not to increase the boost past 8 psi, but to be able to switch back and forth from 5 psi on launches and back to 8 psi after the launch. He said it saves street tires. Plus you can count on a rock solid 8psi and not play a guessing game by using a manual adjustment.

Also, a note for Carl. The new vector DashHawk lets me turn on the fans when ever I want, even with the engine off. Works great for cooling down after I have run it hard.

Clear
Clear Bra Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #23
carlintexas

We're gonna get this figured out sooner or later! Mine is currently at 4 threads. Does the wastegate actuator simply open the butterfly to allow exhaust gas to the 'hot' side of the turbo? If so, wide open seems like it would insure that the turbo is making boost faster but not make higher boost. Is that correct? I need to check my actuator to see if is pushed in like tweety's.

I got great tips from Timus777 to change out the clamps and the 90 degree rubber hose to the throttle body - switch to a silicone hose that actually fits.

ClearBra, I always thought stage III would be -
- new injectors
- re-flash
- increased boost to 15 psi (is that a wastegate function)
- improved BOV ( I always thought the BOV controlled the boost)
- high flow cat

From your conversation with Aaron, is it fuel pump & re-flash only??

Also, I noticed that the Gravana Sky at SEMA is a stage III with a Spec stage III clutch. That might be a good upgrade after stage III goes in.
Old 11-13-2006   #24
carlintexas

Here's my answer to how to get more air to the intercooler - cut a 4" x 18" section out of the bottom of the nose piece!

Old 11-13-2006   #25
tweety

Mr Hahn and his people sent me a new actuator, and I didn't even ask for it!
I put it on the car in about 1-1/2 hours and what the hell was I missing before???
This car f-ing moves now. Holy shit!!!
Too little too late for me but holy shit!!!
This thing spools like there is not tomorrow and with very little input to the throttle.
To think that if I hadn't put in Timus777's kit that I would have never known that there was something wrong with the piece.
Damn.

Last edited by tweety; 11-13-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2006   #26
popsintx

Well you have said that it is too little too late but the question needs to be asked. If it had moved like that from the get go would you be getting rid of her? Just curious.
Old 11-13-2006   #27
tweety

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsintx
Well you have said that it is too little too late but the question needs to be asked. If it had moved like that from the get go would you be getting rid of her? Just curious.

Excerpts from my WHAT IF book O' Tweety.

If Pontiac still made Firebirds, I wouldn't have even looked at the Sol.
If I lived in the South growing up, my wife would have been one of color.
If I had the correct actuator all this time, I wouldn't be looking around for a replacement.
If I hadn't taken my car in to have the top replaced under warranty, the window leaks wouldn't be as bad as they are now...and with new seals!
If I hadn't of been taken on the test track with a professional driver Saturday, I may have been able to be convinced to keep the Sol.

The last one did me in for sure.
Old 11-13-2006   #28
normsf

Hello Tweety. Go back with your Sol to the track and let him drive with you then compare Hell he might just like the Turbo Sol as well if not better for the money. Thanks Norm
normsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #29
normsf

Naw forget it, then you will want our fenders and then a new front facia for the intercooler ( which I will make, this winter ) thanks Norm
normsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006   #30
carlintexas

Norm, you mean I'll have something Tweety doesn't have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement