No More Kappas - Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures
Pontiac Solstice Pontiac Solstice Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures > Pontiac Solstice News / Updates

SolsticeForums.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-24-2005   #1
ekool

No More Kappas

Lori Queen, GM’s head of small cars, says that besides the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky there are no further plans for the RWD Kappa architecture. The Nomad concept displayed on the show circuit last year is probably an afterthought. But perhaps there will be coupe versions of the Solstice or Sky. Queen doesn’t seem to optimistic as GM is using a lot of new techniques to produce the Solstice quickly and cheaply. “There are still a lot of people who want to see if I can pull this off before we start committing to doing half a dozen more.

Via Autoblog.com

And:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101656

Last edited by ekool; 04-22-2005 at 04:23 PM.
ekool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005   #2
ekool

Full article here:

GM won't be spinning a Chevrolet Nomad off the Kappa architecture anytime soon. (Photo by Joe Polimeni)
No More Kappas? Sporty rear-drive spinoffs fall from GM's to-do list
RICK KRANZ | Automotive News
Posted Date: 1/24/05

DETROIT -- General Motors has slowed ambitious plans for a wide lineup of sporty rear-drive cars on its Kappa architecture.

Kappa is the basis for the 2006 Pontiac Solstice and the 2007 Saturn Sky -- low-volume, two-passenger sports cars slightly larger than the Mazda Miata. GM may sell a roadster in Europe as a Vauxhall or Opel.

But developing a coupe, wagon or anything more on the architecture is a low priority, says Lori Queen, GM vehicle line executive for small cars .

That is a change from a year ago, when GM displayed the Chevrolet Nomad wagon and Saturn Curve coupe concepts and touted them as likely Kappa derivatives.

"I think a couple of realities hit," says Queen. "We have an awful lot of mainstream, high-volume products coming out right now."

Those include GM's highly profitable full-sized trucks and new Saturn models. GM's redesigned 2007 full-sized trucks are scheduled to debut next January at the Detroit auto show.

With those programs under way, GM executives are allocating resources carefully. And, Queen says, "Niche vehicles are not at the top of everybody's list."

Also, GM wants to see how the innovative Kappa vehicles make it through what Queen calls "a totally new vehicle-development process."

GM cut costs for Kappa so it could keep sticker prices low. The Solstice is a bare-bones sports car with a sticker price promised under $20,000 by Vice Chairman Robert Lutz. The Sky will be priced a few thousand dollars higher because it will have more equipment.

Lutz also wanted the first Kappa vehicle, the Solstice, produced quickly.

Queen's team scrapped the traditional "alpha build" of a rough "mule" vehicle, testing ride and handling by computer simulation. GM saved time and money by using parts from other vehicles. For example, the interior and exterior door handles are shared with the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The outside mirrors come from a Fiat model.

GM also is trying a new stamping technique, using hydroforming to bend sheet metal. That cuts costs and time.

Says Queen: "There are still a lot of people who want to see if I can pull this off before we start committing to doing half a dozen more."
Old 01-26-2005   #3
cyboexpo2002

We'll see about this. I was hoping something else other than a roadster would come off this platform. I guess they're playing it safe... hopefully we'll see what they were gonna spend on other Kappa cars invested somewhere at least...
cyboexpo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2005   #4
ekool

From what I understand of the article, they are just going to see how the Solstice/Sky sell before committing to new models... which makes perfect business sense to me. If it sells well, the platform works well, they will do more vehicles based on it.

If it tanks... well, why dump more money into it.

I'd be weary if they conducted business any other way
Old 01-27-2005   #5
mysol

nothing to say

Last edited by mysol; 11-16-2006 at 12:59 PM.
mysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #6
novaracer

why is it that GM is so slow with the release of new products? that is BS! and yes i am an employee and i still say the big shots need to be fired. they need to get off the golf cart's and in the shop and crank out me a nomad
novaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005   #7
GoReMaSteR

I personally would like more coupe's and less convertibles. It would appeal to more of the market.
GoReMaSteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #8
Evil SS

I have seen rumors of a sunfire replacement built on a extended Kappa. ANd the factory is not near capcity until there is a third model or exportes Sol'/Sky's.

Last edited by Evil SS; 10-14-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Evil SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement