Chevrolet Sportster Rumor - Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures
Pontiac Solstice Pontiac Solstice Header Right

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures > Solstice Talk > General Discussion

SolsticeForums.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-03-2004   #1
robrecht

Chevrolet Sportster Rumor

Have some of you seen this in Popular Mechanics? The side fender vents are reminiscent of the Corvette. Some people don't seem to put much stock in the Popular Mechanics rumors, but at least it is an interesting idea.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...it_spy_report/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevrolet Sportster.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	149  
robrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004   #2
mceb

GM is planning many Kappa spin-offs. Every division seems to be looking at one version or another of a coupe, roadster or 2+2 off this architecture.
mceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004   #3
psychosquirrel

Those wheels and the headrest fairings look to be straight from the Solstice parts bin.....
psychosquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2004   #4
Allanon

Wouldn't the Buick Bengal be one of those spin offs?

Allanon
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004   #5
robrecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon
Wouldn't the Buick Bengal be one of those spin offs?

Allanon
At least the Bengal has already been shown as a concept car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Buick Bengal.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	151  
Old 04-03-2004   #6
psychosquirrel

I like the Bengal and it would be a sweet little kappa vehicle + Solstice cousin, however, the Buick Velite 4 seat model, photos with tiger woods already released (briefly). The Velite is much larger than a Kappa i think, it could be based on a hybrid chassis, (is it Zeta?? not sure if it has a name yet?) and is much more likely for production in my opinion. Look for the Velite at the NYAS (maybe). Buick needs some sort of sporty car to compete with Lexus and Infinity for the luxury-sport market.

Hopefully GM will also release a few more tidbits at the NYAS about the production Solstice, and a possible GXP version? (please please please)
psychosquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004   #7
naoki

The May 2004 Motor Trend has a full page spread on the concept Velite. Your correct on the Zeta platform thing. Guesstimate Base Price on it is "$39,500 if built." Puts it out of my league, and a bit higher than I expected. ANyways, the article says the concept is RWD, 3.6L/400hp V6, twin-turbo. Estimated by GM to go 0-60 in 5 flat. The article also states "Zeta will underpin the next GTO, a big Opel, a big HOlden, and possibly a new Camaro or Firebird." Another Buick will be based on Zeta as well.
naoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004   #8
robrecht

See the Velite live next weekend at the NY Auto Show. It doesn't do anything for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Buick Velite.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	152  
Old 04-05-2004   #9
garyhoov

I hope they don't do a Chevy version. GM seems to be getting away from the idea of making nearly identical cars with slightly different cladding, and I'm all for it. If you want a Solstice, buy a Solstice. Why dilute things by making slight variations?

While the Cadillac XLR and Corvette share many components, they are clearly different cars for different types of customers. If they do make a Solstice variation, I'd rather see an upscale Buick, for example to compete with BMW rather than a Chevy.

The Chevy Nomad and Saturn Curve (love 'em or hate 'em) are good examples of more distinct uses of the platform.
garyhoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement