Solstice rant - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures
Pontiac Solstice Pontiac Solstice Header Right

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures > Solstice Talk > General Discussion

SolsticeForums.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-01-2004   #31
robrecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga21
you didn't just ask that did you.....have you even read this forum.....

Yes, I did just ask that. Seems to me GM is finally making a small, light roadster to compete with the Miata.

While some understandably complain about the relatively modest horsepower on a stock Miata, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to add a supercharger, a very common mod for those who want faster acceleration. I also like the larger wheels on the stock Solstice, and would love to hear about any other advantages of the Solstice over the current Miata. Remember the basic design of the Miata hasn't changed all that much from it's debut in 1989. I expect more substantial improvements in the 3rd generation Miata due out in a year or so. If I were in the market for a new, light inexpensive roadster I would consider both the Solstice and the upcoming 3rd generation Miata. In terms of value and long term reliability, the Miata represents quite a standard for the Solstice to emulate.
robrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004   #32
pachanga21

I guess, the issue is that for as long as the miata has been out, i have never considered it as a car for purchase. When i saw the solstice however, i immediately was interested in it. After the miata was introduced, the german companies introduced some real roadsters but they tend to be a little out of my price range (new ones any way).
Another thing, the design of the miata is utilitarian ( i hope i spelled that right) , and that solstice is drop dead gorgeous....if you put the two side by side, you tell me which one is spoortier looking.....

i know that we are all just speculating, but the solstice looks kickass and i'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes if they are done right....and that means with a trunk pysch.......btw, i'm not looking for a suv with 103 cf of space, just for some place to put a weekend bag, that cant be too much space for you is it????
pachanga21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #33
robrecht

I happen to agree regarding the Solstice styling (except for Pontiac grille) but that's so subjective. If you're going to use it as a daily driver, there's something to be said for utilitarianism, great reliability, etc.

One of the utilitarian things about the Miata (and many other post Miata roadsters) is the hardtop option. This is great for Winter daily driving and I happen to think it is rather stylish, especially on the 1st generation Miata. Heck, even a Z3 looks good with it's removable hardtop.

I'm sure I'm breaking some kind of roadster code, but so be it. Take off the rag top, add the hardtop, and you can actually reduce weight and add some useful storage space in the Winter. That's actually closer to the traditional definition of a roadster. In fact, the Solstice (and the Miata) is a convertible, not a roadster.

Bottom line. I hope this forum doesn't become a my-car-is-better-than-every-other-sucky-car-out-there forum. The Miata brought back the popularity of the roadster and deserves its due. There wouldn't be any Z3&4s, S2000s, Boxsters, etc., if the Miata had not done so well in the early 90s.

Last edited by robrecht; 04-02-2004 at 07:41 AM.

Old 04-02-2004   #34
mceb

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrecht
In fact, the Solstice (and the Miata) is a convertible, not a roadster.
IMO anything small with 2 seats and convertible qualfies as a roadster.
mceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #35
Hoffman

[QUOTE]...except for the Pontiac grille...[QUOTE]
Not to worry, you can hide the Pontiac grille behind the license plate!
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #36
psychosquirrel

I don't think i ever said that the solstice doesnt need a trunk, it has one, but lets be realistic, it is likely not a very big trunk.

What I do get irritated about are the people who want station wagon size cargo space in a roadster! Hmmmm using their logic, why don't I go buy a minivan if i really want the sportiness of a corvette!
psychosquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #37
psychosquirrel

Hmmmmm maybe I have confused some people, please re-read my original rant.

I said that if someone wants a TRUCK (like a chevy silverado) then they ought to buy something else. Later on other posts mention a lack of a TRUNK, i dunno where this materialized, I am pretty sure this car will have a trunk as does every other car.

I am just surprised that so many people REQUIRE a massive trunk for a car or else they won't buy it. I buy cars based on many other (more important) criteria
such as, the test drive, handling, braking, price, value/$, etc. Trunk space is way WAY down on my list, heck it hardly even rates as something i would even look at, maybe only if i was checking the size+type of the spare tire!
Old 04-02-2004   #38
Chip

"maybe only if i was checking the size+type of the spare tire!":[/QUOTE]

Speaking of the spare tire? Where is it? Maybe it takes up all of the trunk?
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #39
psychosquirrel

Or they could go with run-flats which GM already uses on Corvettes iirc. The run-flats aren't perfect tires for performance but they would help to save weight and space of the traditional spare.
Old 04-03-2004   #40
robrecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceb
IMO anything small with 2 seats and convertible qualfies as a roadster.
Sure! No point in arguing about archaic definitions. The Solstice will probably have a heater, right?
Old 04-03-2004   #41
robrecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman
Not to worry, you can hide the Pontiac grille behind the license plate!
LOL! Yes, the front license plate will spoil the design in some states.

Last edited by robrecht; 04-03-2004 at 06:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement