2005 Pontiac Solstice confirmed? - Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures
Pontiac Solstice Pontiac Solstice Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forums, Discussion, Pictures > Solstice Talk > Solstice News Articles

SolsticeForums.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2003   #1
ekool

2005 Pontiac Solstice confirmed?

As Reported by GMInsidenews.com

GMInsidenews.com reported earlier this week that General Motors CEO Robert Lutz announced in a speech at the Kettering Institute the 2004 GTO's Horsepower Ratings.In keeping with the tradition Lutz started with the 2004 GTO being announced at a low-key speech at the 2002 NY International Autoshow, it has been learned in his Kettering speech that he also confirmed production of the 2005 Pontiac Solstice.

It has been reported that he said the car would use a roadster platform shared across several brands. This Opel Roadster Concept is very possibly the first iteration of that platform. It is also rumored that even Chevrolet could get a version of the new roadster, but that idea isn't as advanced as the Solstice.

Look for the production vehicle to remain as true to the original concept as GM can. A T-56 and 240 hp supercharged Ecotech are rumored to be included in the top trim of the vehicle with a normally aspirated 5 speed version carrying the bottom of the lineup. The current plan is to keep weight under 3000lbs, however the T-56 in the supercharged model will make that a challenge. Expect prices to range from around $20,000 base to approaching $30,000 for a supercharged model.
ekool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2003   #2
Chip

Good news and...bad. If the price for the SC version isn't south of 30K I don't think its future is very bright. This 30K number puts it in the meat of its competition. A little more than the RX-8, a little less than the S2K and 350Z. If it is going to compete at this level it better be right, or it won't sell at numbers that will support the production costs. I was in hopes that the SC car was going to come in at the mid-twenties. Oh well, we will just have to wait and see. I wonder what the production target numbers will be for this car?
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003   #3
guitargeek

Quote:
I was in hopes that the SC car was going to come in at the mid-twenties.

Aye, me too. 30k would be outta my league, and even though the car is super sexy, I'm not sure if I would want one with a normally aspirated Ecotec. Those only put out, what, 140 HP?
guitargeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2003   #4
speedworxs

price

i know i can't afford a sc version so i will make do withthe NA ecotec until i put a turbo unit on it from the several aftermarket which will happy to provide me with one, for way less $ than a SC and likely similiar power
speedworxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003   #5
osu761

Smile

I own a honda Civic and was thinking about doing the same thing, but from reading other web sites, it appears that supercharged engines are built differently from NA (different compression ratios, etc.). Generally speaking, you can only run low boost on an NA engine. Higher pressure will greatly shorten the life of the engine.

BTW, the Solstice looks like a really great car, especially if its priced right (~25k for SC model).

Cheers,
OSU761
osu761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003   #6
speedworxs

on topic

i found this good news

http://edmunds.com/news/regularnews/...6/article.html
Old 11-24-2003   #7
Cheever3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedworxs
That article must not be available any longer. I can't seem to open it. Would you care to paraphrase it for us?
Cheever3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003   #8
speedworxs

how embarrassing... i forgot what it was but i do remember a google search on solstice production and that is what i found but i don't recall now what it was
d'oh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement